He has handled plaintiff and defense cases in both civil and criminal areas throughout his 40 year career with the Law Firm of Cooper, Shifman and Gabe, which then became Cooper, Shifman, Gabe, Quinn and Seymour, and finally Gabe, Quinn & Seymour, PLLC. Matt is a current resident of the City of Novi, where he and his wife Joyce has lived since 1978. Matt and Joyce have been married for 44 years and have three children, Amy, Allison and Erin.
Education & Experience
Matt received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Western Michigan University in 1969. He went on to earn his Juris Doctor Degree from Detroit College of Law in 1974. Soon after graduating from law school, he joined the Law Firm of Cooper, Shifman and Gabe (which then became Cooper, Shifman, Gabe, Quinn and Seymour, and finally Gabe, Quinn & Seymour, PLLC), where he was employed until the merger with Groth Elowsky Kelley Pawlak & Seglund in 2013. Today, Matt is retired from the Law Firm of Seglund Gabe Pawlak Groth & Kelley, PLC. The firm has offices located in Wixom and Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.
In 1971, Matt received an honorable discharge from the United States Army. He served with a rank of Staff Sergeant E-6. He was awarded the bronze star for his service in the Vietnam War from 1970 to 1971. He graduated from Non-Commission Officers Candidate School as a First in Class Distinguished Graduate in 1970.
Legal Services Offered
- Municipal Law
- Real Estate Law
- Zoning Law
- Corporate Law
- Estate Planning
- Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys
- Michigan Society of Planning Officials
- American Bar Association
- Michigan Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Michigan Bar Association – Real Property Section and Public Law Section
- American Bar Association – State and Local Government Law Section
Over the years, Matt has made appearances in every District Court in Oakland County as well as Oakland County Circuit Court and several other County Circuit Courts in the area. Other notable appearances include Michigan Court of Appeals, and the United States Federal District Courts located in Detroit, Ann Arbor, and Flint.
Attorney Matthew Quinn has taken on a number of professional titles and awards throughout his career.
He has been honored as one of the top 5% of attorneys in the state of Michigan by Michigan Super Lawyers Magazine where he was recognized in the area of government/cities/municipalities from 2009 through 2011.
Professional activities that Matt is currently involved in include…
- Township Attorney for the Charter Township of Lyon, 1998-current
- City Attorney for Lathrup Village, 1996-current
- Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for the City of Novi, 1974-current
- Attorney for the City of Lathrup Village Downtown Development Authority, 1997-current
- Attorney for Charter Township of Lyon Downtown Development Authority, 1999-current
Former professional activities
- City Attorney for Ferndale, 1996-1998
- Assistant City Attorney for Hazel Park, 1996-2006
- Attorney for City of Southfield Downtown Development Authority, 2001-2004
- Judge at Moot Court Competition for Detroit College of Law at Michigan State University in 2001
- On the District Court Committee for Oakland County Bar Association from 1990-1992 and 2001-2003
- 52/1 Sobriety Court Advisory Board, 2002-2004
Other Recognitions and Achievements
- Admitted to practice by the Supreme Court of the United States of America in 1978
- He has worked as a Case Evaluator for Oakland County Circuit Court and District Courts
- Has been involved with multiple speaking engagements and served as a webinar panelist regarding various legal topics
- Has been interviewed for his professional legal opinion regarding legal issues by MSNBC and WOOD TV in Grand Rapids for a case which involved a mother’s conviction for assaulting her minor daughter
Matt and his family have lived in the City of Novi since 1978. He is an active member of the Novi community and has served on numerous councils, boards and committees.
From November 1987 to November 1993, Matt served as Mayor of the City of Novi. During his term, he was a member of the Southeastern Michigan Council of Government Transportation Advisory Council, a Featured Speaker at the 1988 National League of Cities Convention, and a speaker at the 1989 Convention of Midwest Shopping Center Executives. From 1988 to 1993, Matthew belonged to the Michigan Association of Mayors.
Throughout the years, Matt has dedicated his time and energy to helping his fellow residents of Novi with everything from city planning to school fundraisers. Below is a list of his community involvement over the years.
- Michigan Community Advisory Board for Providence Park Medical Center Novi, 1992-2009
- Community Advisory Board – Charter Chairperson of Novi Advisory Board, 1992-1996
- Community Advisory Board-Assarian Cancer Center Campaign Steering Committee, 1996-1999
- Served on the Board of Directors for Providence Hospital Foundation in Southfield, MI, 1999-2001
- Served on the Committee for the Pohlman-Bell Novi Veterans Monument, 2005-2006
- Board of Directors for the Michigan 50’s Festival Inc, 1994-1999
- Charter President for the American Heart Association – Southwestern Oakland County Chapter, 1994-1996
- AHA Board Member 1994-1998
- Co-Chairman of Developmental Committee, 1996-1998
- Town Hall Meeting Moderator for Novi City Council, 1998
- Board of Directors for the Motor Sports Museum and Hall of Fame of America – Novi, MI, 1994-1998
- Executive Committee of Board, 1995-1998
- Palmer Drug Abuse Center in Milford, MI
- Board of Directors, 1988-1990
- Advisory Board of Directors, 1991-1997
- Mission Health Inc. in Novi, MI
- Charter Member of Governing Board of Directors, 1994-1997
- Member of Audit Committee, 1995-1997
- Chairman of Audit Committee, 1996-1997
- Providence Hospital in Southfield, MI
- Advisory Board Member, 1991-1995
- Member of Planning Committee, 1991-1995
- Chairperson for Planning Committee, 1992-1994
- Chairperson for Government Relations Committee, 1994-1995
- Chairperson for OBGYN Directors-Search Committee in 1992
- 52-1 District Court Citizen Support Committee, 1993-1994
- Co-Chairman of Fundraising Committee for Novi High School Senior All-Night Party, 1994-2000
- Novi Town Center Steering Committee, 1987-1993
- Novi Ordinance Review Committee, 1987-1993
- Novi Recycling Center Committee, 1988-1989
- Novi Civic Center Implementation Committee, 1985-1988
- Novi Civic Center Planning Committee, 1983-1985
- Novi Community Education VITA Course Committee in 1984
- Novi Turtle Creek Homeowners Association Director, 1984-1987
- Novi Jaycee-Vice President/President, 1978-1981
Matt was named as one of the top ten community leaders that were instrumental in the development of the City of Novi over the past 40 years. This recognition was awarded to him by The Novi Information Network in December of 2010. Other community awards and recognitions include:
- Jaycees International Senator #42551
- 1994 City of Novi/Novi Jaycees Outstanding Citizen Volunteer
Matthew C. Quinn may be contacted by email at email@example.com or by phone at (248) 869-0030.