Seglund Gabe Pawlak & Groth, PLC

Conveniently located in Wixom and Bloomfield Hills

  • Main office

    28345 Beck Road Suite 301 Wixom, Michigan 48393
    Phone: 248.869.0030
  • satellite office

    (by appointment only)
    41000 Woodward Avenue
    Suite 350 East
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304

Can The Amount Of Child Support Ever Be Adjusted?

Yes, child support is modifiable.

What Are Valid Reasons To Request The Change In The Amount By Either Party?

The only way that child support can be modified is if there has been a change in circumstance. The usual changes in circumstance are either one party is earning more or less money than they did when the initial child support amount was set, or there is a change in the amount of overnights that the parties have.

Child support, if modified, cannot be modified retroactively, except to the date that the request for modification was made. The process to modify a child support amount is initiated by filing a motion before the court. In most counties, the friend of the court will investigate if there is, in fact, a change in circumstance that would call for a modification. The court will then make a recommendation as to whether or not there should be a modification, and the amount of the modification.

What Happens If The Other Parent Fails To Pay Child Support? What Are My Rights?

The court can find the payor in contempt for failing to pay in a timely manner and can order that the arrearage of the child support be paid either immediately or added to the amount of the child support payments. In the child support system, there is a uniform child support order that is entered when child support is ordered. If an individual is employed, the employer receives the notice as an order to take the child support from the individual’s pay and send it through the state of Michigan to the individual who is to receive the child support.

For more information on Modification of Child Support in Michigan, an initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (248) 869-0030 today.

Request A Consultation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Copyright 2019 Seglund Gabe Pawlak & Groth, PLC